Woman recovering after dog mauling in northeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman is recovering after she was mauled by a pack of dogs in northeast Houston. And now, Animal Control is working to catch all the stray dogs.
The woman was attacked near Lyons and the Eastex Freeway by about 20 dogs that chased her down and attacked her while she was walking to work.
"The dogs did come after her. They brought her down," said Animal Control Manager Chris Glaser. "Her garments were all ripped from her and she was basically mauled on every area of her body."
Officer Glaser says the attack happened under an overpass just a few hundred feet away from where the dogs have been hiding out under a funeral home. That was Monday morning and Maria Arcos, 52, has been in a medically-induced coma ever since.
"Both of her arms, both of her legs," said Erick Reyes, the victim's son. "We don't know how much movement she's going to have. Her muscles are all torn up and everything."
Arcos' son, Erick, says his mother may never be able to walk again.
"If it happened to a grown lady, already, what's going to happen to a little kid?" wondered Erick.
Animal control officers have already trapped nine of the dogs. They're mixed breeds. Officers believe one pit bull mix may have been extremely aggressive and the others followed him.
"If the dogs have something that set them off, they'll defend each other and they'll attack whatever is there," said Glaser.
The dogs will all be tested for rabies.
"These dogs obviously don't have an owner. They're not socialized," Glaser continued. "They wouldn't be a good candidate for adoption. They'll be euthanized and sent to the lab for testing."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View' 46 min ago
- Crews to assess damage to rig struck by large wave
- Argentine zoo shows off white tiger triplets
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos