Clear Lake couple among injured in Spain train wreck
CLEAR LAKE, TX (KTRK) -- Family members say a Houston-area couple was part of that deadly train accident in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. They are among the more than 150 people recovering from Wednesday's wreck.
The train violently derailed, killing at least 80 of the passengers.
With Myrta Fariza in critical condition in a hospital in Spain and her husband Robert by her side, there was little activity at their Clear Lake home Thursday.
In the evening, the quiet was interrupted with a brief visit by the couple's daughter and her husband. They shied away from questions and instead posted a statement on the front door. In it, they confirmed the terrible news but also wrote, "Our family is incredibly moved by all the support we are receiving."
Myrta and Bobby Fariza were in Europe for another daughter's wedding in Rome two weeks ago. Her sister's Facebook page shows the happy bride. Their parents stayed to travel and were on the out-of-control train in Spain Wednesday night.
Robert escaped with minor injuries. Myrta was much worse off.
Susan Pando White, a relative in Cleburne, Texas, pleaded for prayers on her Facebook page, "Prayer warriors, please pray for our family."
Neighbors in Clear Lake were both curious and concerned.
"It's tragic yeah," said one of the couple's neighbor, who identified himself only as Henry.
Henry left the Fariza home disappointed he wasn't able to learn more.
"We kind of meet each other in the morning when walking around and we greet each other. They're very nice people," he said.
Myrta Fariza has a head injury, her husband told the Associated Press. She was bleeding from her mouth and ears but was conscious. They were with the other 216 passengers heading to a Catholic festival when the crash happened.
If you're interested in donating to the Fariza family, you can do so through their Facebook page.
clear lake, local, jessica willey
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 4 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 41 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage 49 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 15 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
59 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
40 min ago