Boy, 4, with rare disorder sets up lemonade stand to raise funds for people like him
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- Here is a real-life inspirational story of turning life's lemons into lemonade.
He is only four years old, but little Ashten Trenfield is on a mission. Living with a rare disorder, Ashten is using his story -- and a refreshing drink -- to help others like him.
He's a sweet boy, selling a sweet product for a good cause.
"Strawberry lemonade," Ashten said. "And pink lemonade."
He has big plans for his profits.
"Send it to people who have arthrogryposis like me," he told us.
Ashten was born with the rare disorder called arthrogryposis. It causes stiff joints and abnormal muscle development, but Ashten isn't focused on himself. Instead, his mother says, he's trying to give back.
"He wanted to donate some money to kids like, him, who have arthrogryposis," mom Roxanna Trenfield said. "So we decided to make him a lemonade stand."
The family set up this morning at the Food Town in their Sugar Land neighborhood and immediately attracted the attention of shoppers.
"Every kid should have a right to have a healthy life, they should have a right to have safety and they should have a right to feel loved," shopper Lisa Jackson said. "He's obviously got the love. He's having a little issue with health, and that needs to be dealt with. What are we here for if not to help other people?"
"He's awesome for doing this; and that the store here lets him do it, that's great," shopper Lisa Alvizo said.
Ashten's treatments at Shriner's Hospital have included physical therapy and even surgery.
"He's actually had two surgeries from Shriner's. We had one I guess last year and then another one, I think, in 2011," dad Neil Trenfield said. "Just to kind of bring the wrists into a neutral position and loosen up the fingers and everything."
The Trenfield family continues to work on helping Ashten use his hands, but at least they know his heart is in the right place.
Ashten was able to raise nearly $500 for the Shriner's Hospital. He is planning on have another lemonade sale to raise more money.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged 10 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 22 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 11 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 46 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Houston rodeo therapeutic experience for some
3 min ago