Boy, 4, with rare disorder sets up lemonade stand to raise funds for people like him
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- Here is a real-life inspirational story of turning life's lemons into lemonade.
He is only four years old, but little Ashten Trenfield is on a mission. Living with a rare disorder, Ashten is using his story -- and a refreshing drink -- to help others like him.
He's a sweet boy, selling a sweet product for a good cause.
"Strawberry lemonade," Ashten said. "And pink lemonade."
He has big plans for his profits.
"Send it to people who have arthrogryposis like me," he told us.
Ashten was born with the rare disorder called arthrogryposis. It causes stiff joints and abnormal muscle development, but Ashten isn't focused on himself. Instead, his mother says, he's trying to give back.
"He wanted to donate some money to kids like, him, who have arthrogryposis," mom Roxanna Trenfield said. "So we decided to make him a lemonade stand."
The family set up this morning at the Food Town in their Sugar Land neighborhood and immediately attracted the attention of shoppers.
"Every kid should have a right to have a healthy life, they should have a right to have safety and they should have a right to feel loved," shopper Lisa Jackson said. "He's obviously got the love. He's having a little issue with health, and that needs to be dealt with. What are we here for if not to help other people?"
"He's awesome for doing this; and that the store here lets him do it, that's great," shopper Lisa Alvizo said.
Ashten's treatments at Shriner's Hospital have included physical therapy and even surgery.
"He's actually had two surgeries from Shriner's. We had one I guess last year and then another one, I think, in 2011," dad Neil Trenfield said. "Just to kind of bring the wrists into a neutral position and loosen up the fingers and everything."
The Trenfield family continues to work on helping Ashten use his hands, but at least they know his heart is in the right place.
Ashten was able to raise nearly $500 for the Shriner's Hospital. He is planning on have another lemonade sale to raise more money.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records
- Video: Health care sign up deadline approaching
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard