Jean Hines Caldwell, mother of Houston Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, dies at 83
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A veteran Houston educator and mother of a prominent local pastor died Sunday at age 83 after a long illness.
Jean Hines Caldwell was a native Houstonian and mother of Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church.
Caldwell began her career as an audiologist with the Houston Independent School District. She also spent 38 years as a teacher and guidance counselor at Phillis Wheatley High School, her alma mater.
Even after retirement, Caldwell spent years mentoring young women around Houston and at Windsor Village.
In 2005, HISD named an elementary school in her honor. The Jean Hines Caldwell Elementary School is located at 5015 W. Orem Drive in southwest Houston.
Caldwell was married to well-known business owner and entrepreneur Booker T. Caldwell for 59 years. He preceded her in death in July 2011.
Caldwell is survived by her son, daughter Dorothea Pickens, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
A celebration of life service will be held Tuesday at 7pm at the Kingdom Builders' Center, 6011 W. Orem Drive.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 8 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 3 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon