Jean Hines Caldwell, mother of Houston Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, dies at 83
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A veteran Houston educator and mother of a prominent local pastor died Sunday at age 83 after a long illness.
Jean Hines Caldwell was a native Houstonian and mother of Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church.
Caldwell began her career as an audiologist with the Houston Independent School District. She also spent 38 years as a teacher and guidance counselor at Phillis Wheatley High School, her alma mater.
Even after retirement, Caldwell spent years mentoring young women around Houston and at Windsor Village.
In 2005, HISD named an elementary school in her honor. The Jean Hines Caldwell Elementary School is located at 5015 W. Orem Drive in southwest Houston.
Caldwell was married to well-known business owner and entrepreneur Booker T. Caldwell for 59 years. He preceded her in death in July 2011.
Caldwell is survived by her son, daughter Dorothea Pickens, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
A celebration of life service will be held Tuesday at 7pm at the Kingdom Builders' Center, 6011 W. Orem Drive.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 43 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 42 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 19 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 37 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
41 min ago