Houston man who originally claimed self-defense in woman's killing now charged with murder
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- He claimed self-defense, but sheriff's deputies say that is not what happened. Now a Houston man is charged with murder after an argument took a deadly turn.
Charles Ivey, 32, initially said the victim attacked him first at his home on Saturday and he was just fighting back. Investigators say after interviewing witnesses and questioning the suspect, he admitted to an entirely different story.
Ivey went before a judge this morning, where his bond was set at $50,000. If he's released on bond, the judge said he'll have to remain at his residence wearing an electronic monitor.
Ivey is charged with murder in the death of Donna Schumaker, 41. Harris County sheriff investigators say early on Saturday morning, Shumaker was at the residence on Greenbow Lane in northeast Harris County with a friend who was picking up personal items.
Ivey owns the residence and shot Shoemaker. Here's how prosecutors say the incident unfolded:
"He originally stated that he had seen something in her hand and investigators had found a knife next to her body," said Harris County Assistant DA Lisa Collins. "However, when questioned further, the defendant admitted that he had planted that knife in an attempt to claim self-defense."
In court, it was revealed Ivey has no felony record. The murder charge carries a possible punishment of five years to life in prison.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 20 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 16 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 38 min ago
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days