Houston man who originally claimed self-defense in woman's killing now charged with murder
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- He claimed self-defense, but sheriff's deputies say that is not what happened. Now a Houston man is charged with murder after an argument took a deadly turn.
Charles Ivey, 32, initially said the victim attacked him first at his home on Saturday and he was just fighting back. Investigators say after interviewing witnesses and questioning the suspect, he admitted to an entirely different story.
Ivey went before a judge this morning, where his bond was set at $50,000. If he's released on bond, the judge said he'll have to remain at his residence wearing an electronic monitor.
Ivey is charged with murder in the death of Donna Schumaker, 41. Harris County sheriff investigators say early on Saturday morning, Shumaker was at the residence on Greenbow Lane in northeast Harris County with a friend who was picking up personal items.
Ivey owns the residence and shot Shoemaker. Here's how prosecutors say the incident unfolded:
"He originally stated that he had seen something in her hand and investigators had found a knife next to her body," said Harris County Assistant DA Lisa Collins. "However, when questioned further, the defendant admitted that he had planted that knife in an attempt to claim self-defense."
In court, it was revealed Ivey has no felony record. The murder charge carries a possible punishment of five years to life in prison.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos