Memorial services set for George P. Mitchell
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Memorial services have been set for the man who helped found The Woodlands and revitalize his hometown of Galveston.
Billionaire philanthropist George P. Mitchell will be remembered 5:30 p.m. August 6 in a special service in Galveston at Trinity Episcopal Church. Following the service, a tribute will be held at 7pm at Saengerfest Park, 23rd and Strand.
On August 8, another tribute is planned at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands. The Houston Symphony will perform a tribute concert that begins at 7:30pm.
The Mitchell family requests that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made in George P. Mitchell's memory to the Galveston Sustainable Communities Alliance, Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council, the Galveston Academic Excellence Booster Club, or a preferred not-for-profit organization that supports strong communities, environmental sustainability, or educational initiatives.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt 55 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns