HPD finds woman feared kidnapped in northeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A missing woman who was at the center of a police investigation was found safe Monday evening. Now investigators are searching for answers into why she was taken.
Investigators say at about 11:30am Monday, 29-year-old Elsa Yaneth Munos Romero was running down Shotwell Street in northeast Houston, frantically yelling for help and saying that someone was trying to kill her. She even went to one home and knocked on the door.
When the homeowner opened it, he says she threw her Honduran passport at him and was taken into an SUV by a man and a woman.
The witness said both of the man and woman who took her had MS-13 gang tattoos. MS-13 is an extremely violent gang, heavily involved in human trafficking, prostitution and other illegal activity.
"You see little kids running up and down trying to be in gangs, but I've never heard of MS-13 being here in this neighborhood," neighbor Yolanda Gonzales said.
"I've never noticed or seen any violence at all. It's always quiet," neighbor Monica Rios said.
At about 7:30 Monday, HPD homicide detectives confirmed they had located Romero unharmed, and were interviewing her for details about the abduction.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest on this story.
local, katie mccall
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 10 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places 26 min ago
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers 24 min ago
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to... 29 min ago
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged