HPD finds woman feared kidnapped in northeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A missing woman who was at the center of a police investigation was found safe Monday evening. Now investigators are searching for answers into why she was taken.
Investigators say at about 11:30am Monday, 29-year-old Elsa Yaneth Munos Romero was running down Shotwell Street in northeast Houston, frantically yelling for help and saying that someone was trying to kill her. She even went to one home and knocked on the door.
When the homeowner opened it, he says she threw her Honduran passport at him and was taken into an SUV by a man and a woman.
The witness said both of the man and woman who took her had MS-13 gang tattoos. MS-13 is an extremely violent gang, heavily involved in human trafficking, prostitution and other illegal activity.
"You see little kids running up and down trying to be in gangs, but I've never heard of MS-13 being here in this neighborhood," neighbor Yolanda Gonzales said.
"I've never noticed or seen any violence at all. It's always quiet," neighbor Monica Rios said.
At about 7:30 Monday, HPD homicide detectives confirmed they had located Romero unharmed, and were interviewing her for details about the abduction.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest on this story.
local, katie mccall
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots 35 min ago
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama 1 min ago
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped 37 min ago
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist 7 min ago
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Antique telephones brought back to life
49 min ago