Post Oak sluggers one step closer to Intermediate Little League title
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (KTRK) -- A group of young ball players from Houston is trying to win the Little League Intermediate World Series, and they got a little closer to that goal on Tuesday.
The all-star team from the Post Oak Little League beat Collier, Pennsylvania, 6-4 during its first game near San Francisco, California. They now move on to play Rutherfordton, North Carolina at noon Wednesday.
The Post Oak team is representing the U.S. southwest region in the 10-team international tournament. This is a new division of Little League. The players are a little older than the ones who play in the famous Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
"Something that Little Leagues come up with to bridge the gap between the 12-year-olds and high school and it's unbelievable. They've done a great job with it," Post Oak Little League coach John Thompson said.
The team has not given up more than five runs in any one game, and most importantly, every one of these players is thrilled to be there.
Many boys on this Post Oak team have played ball together since they were eight years old and consider themselves family.
Assuming the Post Oak team wins, they will be off on Thursday and back on the field Friday.
ABC13 Reporter Katie McCall is following the team out in California. Look for reports from her on later editions of Eyewitness News.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Severe weather possible this morning
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 39 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension 15 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business 50 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 31 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston 29 min ago
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested 32 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 38 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- METRO hosting North Line grand opening party
46 min ago
- ISS spacewalk: What are they doing up there?
33 min ago