Post Oak sluggers win second game in quest to conquer Intermediate Little League title
LIVERMORE, CA (KTRK) -- A team of local ball players is working to conquer the world, well the World Series anyway.
The Post Oak baseball team is competing in the Little League World Series Intermediate Division in Livermore, Californa. On Wednesday, the mercy rule came into play, as the Houston area team was up 12-1 against a team from North Carolina in the 5th inning.
The local Little Leaguers started Game 2 by putting 1 on the board in the second inning, letting the North Carolina team representing the Southeast know they came here to play World Series baseball. they'd go up 8-0 by the 4th inning, while still blanking the North Carolinians.
"We're so proud of them and so happy. And it's so much fun to watch them and it's super exciting," said Pepper Edens, whose son plays on the team.
"They're a really good baseball team and really have a chance to make something happen here," said Tilman Fertitta, whose son Blake was the starting pitcher Tuesday and helped the team to a 6-4 victory in Game 1.
Blake Fertitta and fellow pitcher Andrew Alvarez can't pitch this game due to Little League pitching rules. But Fertitta is starting for the team playing shortstop.
The Post Oak kids have played together for as long as five years. This is a team that knows and supports one another, and they say they are prepared for this series.
"They've gotten a lot more comfortable. I think we'll continue to get comfortable so I expect they'll continue to do well," team manager Mark Rome said.
And the players are ready.
"We are going to focus on no errors on defense because we're not really used to this infield -- it's kind of harder -- and getting more hits this game probably and pitching strikes," second baseman Jack Thompson said.
Right now, the team has a 11-0 winning streak record.
They have the day off Thursday then it's back to work Friday. If the wins keep on coming, they'll play for the whole enchilada on Monday.
ABC13 Reporter Katie McCall is following the team out in California. Look for reports from her on later editions of Eyewitness News.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 43 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Recognize either of these guys?
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...
- Chrysler recalls 49,000 Chargers to fix headlights
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Amazon accused of cheating customers
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves