Post Oak sluggers win second game in quest to conquer Intermediate Little League title
LIVERMORE, CA (KTRK) -- A team of local ball players is working to conquer the world, well the World Series anyway.
The Post Oak baseball team is competing in the Little League World Series Intermediate Division in Livermore, Californa. On Wednesday, the mercy rule came into play, as the Houston area team was up 12-1 against a team from North Carolina in the 5th inning.
The local Little Leaguers started Game 2 by putting 1 on the board in the second inning, letting the North Carolina team representing the Southeast know they came here to play World Series baseball. they'd go up 8-0 by the 4th inning, while still blanking the North Carolinians.
"We're so proud of them and so happy. And it's so much fun to watch them and it's super exciting," said Pepper Edens, whose son plays on the team.
"They're a really good baseball team and really have a chance to make something happen here," said Tilman Fertitta, whose son Blake was the starting pitcher Tuesday and helped the team to a 6-4 victory in Game 1.
Blake Fertitta and fellow pitcher Andrew Alvarez can't pitch this game due to Little League pitching rules. But Fertitta is starting for the team playing shortstop.
The Post Oak kids have played together for as long as five years. This is a team that knows and supports one another, and they say they are prepared for this series.
"They've gotten a lot more comfortable. I think we'll continue to get comfortable so I expect they'll continue to do well," team manager Mark Rome said.
And the players are ready.
"We are going to focus on no errors on defense because we're not really used to this infield -- it's kind of harder -- and getting more hits this game probably and pitching strikes," second baseman Jack Thompson said.
Right now, the team has a 11-0 winning streak record.
They have the day off Thursday then it's back to work Friday. If the wins keep on coming, they'll play for the whole enchilada on Monday.
ABC13 Reporter Katie McCall is following the team out in California. Look for reports from her on later editions of Eyewitness News.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 48 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 49 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game