Man shoots two suspects who tried to rob him in Museum District
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The tables were turned on a trio of would-be robbers. Investigators say the victim pulled out a gun and shot two of them.
The shooting took place on Caroline at Rosedale at about 7am. A man driving a red truck was approached by three people who tried to rob him.. But he decided to fight back. Neighbors nearby by heard what happened next.
One witness said, "It sounded like a big gun being fired."
A woman who didn't want to be identified told us the intended victim struggled with the men, firing several times. Two suspects were hit, and one of those was seriously injured.
The witness said, "He kept sitting down, he took his shirt, rolled it up, put it to his belly. He was seriously injured."
But the other two suspects ran -- one even went inside a nearby convenience store looking for help before taking off. He was located hours later at UTMB Hospital in Galveston.
Eyewitness Catherine Loveys said, "He's lucky, I suppose, he's not dead."
The victim who fired shots rents a space at Caroline Collective, a small business incubator. Just six weeks ago, at the same location, police say someone else armed with a pocket knife tried to rob the same man. People familiar with that situation says the Collective changed their security procedures.
Concerned neighbor Grace Rodriguez said, "They took a lot of effort to increase security here. I think we have to boost patrols definitely."
Police say both men arrested are facing aggravated robbery charges, and they're still looking for a third suspect. As for the victim, he's shaken up, but neighbors are relieved he wasn't hurt.
"I'm really glad he had a gun because he might have been killed today," said the witness.
local, miya shay
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 53 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911 20 min ago
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 10 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student