Baytown stabbing suspect nabbed in Louisiana
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A woman stabbed early Saturday morning at a Baytown motel is in the hospital, and the man accused of attacking her is behind bars in Louisiana.
Humble resident Christopher Kemp, 29, was arrested in Monroe after leading authorities in Louisiana on a car chase.
According to Baytown police, the Richland Parish Sheriff's Department spotted the stolen vehicle Kemp allegedly used to flee the scene of the stabbing, and when he refused to pull over, officers pursued him on Interstate 20. About 30 minutes into the chase, Kemp exited the highway, drove into a farm field and surrendered to officers.
Kemp is accused of stabbing a 32-year-old woman at the Econo Lodge in the 7400 block of Garth Road in Baytown around 3:45am Saturday.
Police say the woman was so badly injured, they had to break down the door to get to her. Eventually, they learned that she had been stabbed eight times with what appeared to have been a pocket knife. Police say the woman then told them her attacker was Kemp.
She was flown by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where she is listed as stable and expected to make a full recovery.
Police say Kemp had earlier left the motel in the woman's blue 2007 Toyota Solara with Texas license plate PZD558. Kemp reportedly drove to a friend's home in Mont Belvieu, where he told that person about the stabbing. That's when police say Kemp was told to leave and he's been missing ever since.
Surveillance video captured the man police say is Kemp and the woman checking into the motel at around 1am. Kemp appears to be carrying beer and a guitar.
"Typical average check in. They came in, said they were new in town and needed a room, rented them a room. A few hours later, cops showed up," motel owner Bijal Patel said.
At about 3am, Kemp was seen on surveillance video leaving by himself.
"It's very crazy that somebody gets stabbed and nobody hears anything. We have staff staying next door to them and no sound or nothing," Patel said.
Luis Bernal is the president of the neighborhood homeowners association.
"Unfortunately, we do have a lot of bad company that comes in and out. A lot of traffic, a lot of trash as well. I'm not surprised about what happened," Bernal said.
He hopes this violent stabbing isn't part of a trend there.
"I-10 is not even a minute from the Econo Lodge so it's an easy way in and an easy way out," Bernal said.
Right now, Kemp is being held at the Richland Parish Detention Facility on charges of driving while intoxicated-other substances, felony evading and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon from the Baytown stabbing incident.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston 22 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 51 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Fight involving more than 50 people breaks out at funeral home 7 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker truck 36 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her 31 min ago
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing 29 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands