Post Oak beats Pleasanton, California, 6-5
LIVERMORE, CA (KTRK) -- Houston's Post Oak baseball team is one step closer to winning the Intermediate League World Series.
The local sluggers beat a team from Pleasanton, California, 6-5, but it wasn't easy. The teams were tied 4-4 in the fourth inning, and the California pitcher struck out three Post Oak players in a row. Post Oak scored another run in the sixth and yet another in the seventh to take a 6-4 lead into the bottom of the seventh. Pleasanton scored once in their final at-bat, but Post Oak would hold on for the win.
"A lot of people calling me and texting me. The media's awesome, never had this experience before," player Harrison Cascadden said.
This series is being followed by people who root for these players in person, and on social media.
"You are celebrities. You deserve to be celebrities," the team's manager, Mark Rome, told them.
The success has strengthened the bond between grandparents and grandsons, and between players, who will never forget the experience.
"Last Friday, we were just another team in Livermore that came to play the World Series. Now we're playing for the best team in the United States. Just something different, way different," pitcher Blake Fertitta said.
The Post Oak Little Leaguers are excited about how well they have played so far and seem to be handling the spotlight well.
"It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I mean when are you going to face nine other teams from all over the world?" third baseman Hill Johnson said.
They like being away from home, swimming, sleeping in hotel rooms and meeting girls. These kids have groupies here and are even signing autographs.
"If you had to you describe this experience for you, what would you say?" we asked Fertitta.
"Breathtaking, just something I'm going to cherish for the rest of my life," he said.
The team's next game is Sunday.
ABC13 Reporter Katie McCall is following the team out in California. Look for reports from her on Eyewitness News.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, katie mccall
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County 33 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 35 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan 38 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies 56 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
10 min ago