Heat advisory in effect for Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Heat Advisory has been issued for parts of our area today. We'll be seeing dangerous temperatures, meaning you need to take some precautions if you plan to spend time outdoors.
The following counties are included in today's heat advisory: Harris, Liberty, Galveston, Brazoria, Chambers, Jackson and Matagorda. We are expecting a dangerous combination of heat and humidity today, resulting in heat indices between 105-110 this afternoon.
High pressure remains in control this week, which will keep us hot and mostly dry through Friday.
In this extreme heat, there is concern of heat stroke or heat cramps, especially when doing something active, like running or yard work.
In response to the extreme heat, the City of Houston has opened some cooling centers. Many can play dominos, shoot pool, or even play bingo at some centers. But, for some seniors, the best parts are the air conditioner and water.
"You don't want the heat stroke so you have to find you a cool place to come," said resident Ida Mae Cross.
The Acres Homes Multi Service Center is one of many cooling stations across the city.
"It allows the seniors to turn their air down at home, come to the center and enjoy the cooling here," said Senior Center Specialist Mae Robinson.
"I appreciate it very much because I wouldn't have anywhere to hang out if there wasn't a place like this," said resident Vera Lambert.
Those we spoke with this morning say they are fueling up on water and sports drinks.
"(It's) really brutal, really humid," said runner Haley Mims. "I've lived in Houston all my life so it's another summer, but definitely brutal; definitely when you're trying to keep in shape outside."
Another thing to keep in mind with this extreme heat is your pets. Keep your pets hydrated and try to provide shelter, shade and water for them as well.
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat 39 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room