Thieves target BBQ pit used for charity fundraisers
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Thieves have put a fundraiser for a cancer non-profit in jeopardy.
Surveillance video shows thieves stealing a barbeque pit from Melange Catering at their property in the Heights Sunday afternoon. The whole heist took less than two minutes in broad daylight.
The company says the $10,000 pit would be used to cook food for fundraisers, including one for BTHO Melanoma -- an organization aimed at preventing skin cancer.
"It's unbelievable. It looks calculated. It looks like someone planned really well to have all the tools," said Harold Kelly with Melange Catering. "This neighborhood is very quiet on the weekends. Someone had to be planning this for a little bit."
They hope to recover the pit in time for the November event.
Anyone who may have seen something is asked to call police or call the company at 713-869-0066.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting 57 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston 55 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment 34 min ago
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians