Woman accused of kidnapping and killing Houston boy in 2010 goes on trial today
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The trial begins today for the woman accused of kidnapping and murdering a boy.
Mona Nelson is charged with capital murder. Prosecutors say she kidnapped 12-year-old Jonathon Foster on Christmas Eve of 2010. His burned remains were found in a ditch soon after, but detectives could never come up with a motive.
Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. Nelson has asked for a judge instead of a jury to decide the verdict.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- New Houston light rail line opens for business 16 min ago
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Video: Wind damage in River Oaks area