Burglars smash into Galleria Chanel store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A high-stakes burglary was held at a high-end store at the galleria. Now two people are behind bars and four others are on the run.
According to police, five men walked through the mall's unlocked doors around 4am, then used a heavy tool to pry open the safety glass at the Chanel store. They took close to 30 designer handbags, and took off running after their getaway driver got spooked by mall security.
Two men were taken into custody.
By the time employees at the mall got to work, they had heard the news.
"I was not surprised because the door and windows right there are all glass. Actually, when I was walking in yesterday I wondered how often this happens," said Banana Republic employee Hector Zertuche.
Hossain Taghi has run A.Taghi Clothiers and Shoes across from The Galleria mall for 20 years. He says the Chanel store burglary is concerning but not surprising.
"I think at night, they have to take all the merchandise inside and don't leave it at the window," Taghi said.
Police say those stolen handbags ranged between $5,000 and $10,000 apiece.
According to police, this is just the latest in a recent string of similar crimes in this area. There was a similar burglary at Saks 5th Avenue, also in the Galleria Mall, just last week.
A nearby employee, who preferred not to give his name, works in an office building next to the mall. He says crime in the area is a very real concern.
"I would be concerned leaving the Galleria at night if I was a woman in the parking lot. Even as a man, you have to be conscious of your surroundings," he said.
In Wednesday morning's burglary, police recovered most of the stolen items, which the crooks stuffed into garbage bags, but lost during their escape.
Eyewitness News learned Dalton Joseph Francis and Joshua Pynell, the two suspects who are in custody, have pending burglary charges against them.
Police are still looking for four men, including the getaway driver.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Residents say raw sewage is seeping into homes
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death 19 min ago
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools 48 min ago
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot 13 min ago
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year 34 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Man charged in July murder of woman dumped in ditch 2 min ago
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Sarah Palin to host outdoors show