Burglars smash into Galleria Chanel store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A high-stakes burglary was held at a high-end store at the galleria. Now two people are behind bars and four others are on the run.
According to police, five men walked through the mall's unlocked doors around 4am, then used a heavy tool to pry open the safety glass at the Chanel store. They took close to 30 designer handbags, and took off running after their getaway driver got spooked by mall security.
Two men were taken into custody.
By the time employees at the mall got to work, they had heard the news.
"I was not surprised because the door and windows right there are all glass. Actually, when I was walking in yesterday I wondered how often this happens," said Banana Republic employee Hector Zertuche.
Hossain Taghi has run A.Taghi Clothiers and Shoes across from The Galleria mall for 20 years. He says the Chanel store burglary is concerning but not surprising.
"I think at night, they have to take all the merchandise inside and don't leave it at the window," Taghi said.
Police say those stolen handbags ranged between $5,000 and $10,000 apiece.
According to police, this is just the latest in a recent string of similar crimes in this area. There was a similar burglary at Saks 5th Avenue, also in the Galleria Mall, just last week.
A nearby employee, who preferred not to give his name, works in an office building next to the mall. He says crime in the area is a very real concern.
"I would be concerned leaving the Galleria at night if I was a woman in the parking lot. Even as a man, you have to be conscious of your surroundings," he said.
In Wednesday morning's burglary, police recovered most of the stolen items, which the crooks stuffed into garbage bags, but lost during their escape.
Eyewitness News learned Dalton Joseph Francis and Joshua Pynell, the two suspects who are in custody, have pending burglary charges against them.
Police are still looking for four men, including the getaway driver.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- Video: Vatican city prepares for canonization 47 min ago
- Video: Hero helps Skeeters open the season 48 min ago
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Family's pet donkey shot 18 times, killed 36 min ago
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller
- Convict who escaped TX prison returns from Mexico
- Child dies in rollover wreck along Gulf Freeway
- Car becomes lodged under box truck in SW Houston wreck
- Court filing: Tugboat in ship channel spill was speeding
- More space, shops coming to The Galleria