Bellaire resident beaten while jogging near his home
BELLAIRE, TX (KTRK) -- A Bellaire community is on edge after a man was beaten while jogging in his neighborhood.
Joggers and walkers are a common sight along a stretch of Newcastle in Bellaire. Crime alerts are a rarity.
"I've always felt pretty safe," said jogger Julie Bersin. "I've done really early in the morning a lot. When I do really early, I'm kind of cautious or I bring my dog."
So when a nearby resident went on his daily jog at 10pm Tuesday, the last thing he or anyone else expected was for him to be jumped by two men.
"He was suddenly surprised from behind, basically attacked, taken down to the ground," said Bellaire Police Assistant Chief Michael Leal. "As he turned, he was assault while on the ground."
Leal says the jogger fought back, and the two men took off in a brown sedan, without stealing anything.
"We had (a burglary) in the morning on Saturday, one in the evening on Saturday, two different parts of Bellaire, but the description is very similar," Leal said.
"I've never felt in danger," said Bellaire resident Russell Wright. "The police patrol very well here."
The victim suffered some cuts and bruises on his arm, and a cut above his lip, but he is otherwise alright. In this tight-knit community, the news of the attack is just sinking in.
"Honestly, I think it could happen to anyone, and it doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in," said jogger Sarah Portugal. "It could happen to anyone."
Police are hoping to catch the suspects involved, but they don't have a lot to go on. If you have any information in the attack, you're asked to call Bellaire police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
bellaire, local, miya shay
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 16 min ago
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades 18 min ago
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 20 min ago
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 11 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 51 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
- No more playing in the street, says Florida HOA
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos