Motorcyclist dies after colliding with valet driver
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a valet driver struck and killed a motorcyclist in southwest Houston late last night.
According to police, the motorcyclist was going east on Westheimer near Virginia around 11:30pm. A valet for a restaurant in the area was driving a BMW, going the same direction.
Authorities say evidence at the scene suggests the valet tried to make a right turn from the inside lane, cutting off the motorcyclist, who wasn't able to stop in time and slammed into the side of the car.
"It does not appear that speed was a factor. It appears that the driver of the BMW possibly made an error in judgment when he turned from what appears to be the wrong lane," said Sgt. Cedrick Nickerson with the Houston Police Department.
The motorcycle rider was rushed to the hospital, but was pronounced dead when he got there. He's been identified as 26-year-old Andrew Gladney.
Now, nearby residents are calling for changes after the deadly crash. They say they're fed up with valet drivers being reckless.
"There are certain streets that we don't take because of that activity," neighbor Steve Adam said.
Reckless valet driving is an issue, according to neighbors. With a small parking lot, they often circle the block looking for a spot or double park.
One neighbor shared numerous emails he has sent to city departments and his city council member, Ellen Cohen, over the last few months complaining about congestion. He feared the worst could happen.
"I'm shocked but yet I'm not surprised," Adam said.
Adam never thought it would be this bad.
"We have been concerned about the large amount of volume, the traffic, and the manner in which all that's been handled in terms of parking as well as traffic flow," he said.
No one from the restaurant returned our calls seeking comment on Friday.
Cohen's office says it's not familiar with these complaints although it tries address all issues they get.
Right now, the driver of the BMW is facing only a traffic violation, though that could change depending on the outcome of the investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 30 min ago
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus 22 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos