Fake roofers target residents in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents on the west side are being warned about a scam involving people pretending to be roofers. While they appear to be trying to help you, their goal is to clean you out.
On a tree lined street in Briargrove Park, a longtime homeowner told Eyewitness News about a devastating burglary 10 days ago.
"My wedding band, and they're after good costume jewelry also, but they got my memories," she said.
The woman, who didn't want to be identified, says three men knocked on her door to talk about roof repairs. Even though she had the front door locked, one of the suspects sneaked through a side door while two suspects distracted her.
"They outmaneuvered me out of my home, to the back, and diverted my attention to the roof," the victim said.
The three men, described as Hispanic, and ranging from stocky to six feet tall, left in a blue pickup truck. Neighbors were soon put on alert.
Neighbor Ann Slade said, "Typical. It happens. We're in the city of Houston, and even though we have patrols, things happen."
But on that same afternoon, about 10 minutes away, a similar incident took place on the 11000 block of Ella Lee in the Lakeside Estates subdivision. Even though those homeowners didn't lose anything, it certainly raised suspicions in both neighborhoods.
"If someone wants to come in your backyard, just tell them no," neighbor Ershel Rede advised.
As for the Briargrove Park homeowner who was victimized, she hopes the men are caught.
"I cried for three days," she said. "But I'm over it because I was not molested, or knocked in the head."
Authorities say they're not certain if both incidents are related, but they say it's definitely a warning for everyone to be on the lookout.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, miya shay
- Emergency spacewalk may be needed on ISS
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party 1 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating 30 min ago
- Girl's mom applauds suspension of kissing 6-year-old
- Masked men with guns smash into jewelry store
- Von Trapps' Vt. lodge taps interest in new musical 28 min ago