Fake roofers target residents in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents on the west side are being warned about a scam involving people pretending to be roofers. While they appear to be trying to help you, their goal is to clean you out.
On a tree lined street in Briargrove Park, a longtime homeowner told Eyewitness News about a devastating burglary 10 days ago.
"My wedding band, and they're after good costume jewelry also, but they got my memories," she said.
The woman, who didn't want to be identified, says three men knocked on her door to talk about roof repairs. Even though she had the front door locked, one of the suspects sneaked through a side door while two suspects distracted her.
"They outmaneuvered me out of my home, to the back, and diverted my attention to the roof," the victim said.
The three men, described as Hispanic, and ranging from stocky to six feet tall, left in a blue pickup truck. Neighbors were soon put on alert.
Neighbor Ann Slade said, "Typical. It happens. We're in the city of Houston, and even though we have patrols, things happen."
But on that same afternoon, about 10 minutes away, a similar incident took place on the 11000 block of Ella Lee in the Lakeside Estates subdivision. Even though those homeowners didn't lose anything, it certainly raised suspicions in both neighborhoods.
"If someone wants to come in your backyard, just tell them no," neighbor Ershel Rede advised.
As for the Briargrove Park homeowner who was victimized, she hopes the men are caught.
"I cried for three days," she said. "But I'm over it because I was not molested, or knocked in the head."
Authorities say they're not certain if both incidents are related, but they say it's definitely a warning for everyone to be on the lookout.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, miya shay
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Nice weather for Easter!
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck