Vandals damage disabled veteran's car in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A disabled veteran is trying to figure out how he'll fix his car after being targeted by vandals.
Hector Cortez says he discovered his car covered in spray paint on Sunday morning. The vandals wrote vulgar words and racial slurs all over it.
The former Marine says he doesn't believe he was randomly targeted because his car was the only one defaced on the block.
At just 28, Cortez has had a lot of life experiences. The combat veteran was a Marine during the Iraq War.
"The hardest challenge that you can imagine," he said.
He's disabled after suffering from severe PTSD. And as we asked him to explain that, we were interrupted.
"You hear that? Prime example. For everyday people, that sound is just a gentleman moving a ladder. For a veteran, that's a sound of machine gun rounds hitting the deck," he said.
His service dog, Rusty, is always by his side to help with those anxious moments -- like Sunday morning, when he never expected words to wound him the way they did.
"The entire driver's side was painted over with derogatory words," Cortez said.
It's so offensive we can't publish it, and for Cortez...
"I will not repeat those words," he said.
He describes the embarrassment neighbors have tried to help him clean off.
"A very, very racial slander painted right here directed towards the African American community and then a slander above it directed to the Hispanic community," Cortez said.
He gets by on his military pension.
"It's not a Mercedes Benz, it's not a $50,000, $60,000 vehicle, but it's something I had to work hard, save up for," Cortez said.
And while he believes he was specifically targeted, he says he won't let them win.
"They can hit me with all they've got, I've survived war," Cortez said.
Houston police are investigating the case as criminal mischief.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 12 min ago
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop 10 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects