Katy ISD calls for bond election to fund new football stadium
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- The Katy ISD board of trustees is taking one step forward to building a second football stadium.
The school board decided to ask voters to approve a bond to fund a new football stadium for its seven high school programs. That election is now set for November 5.
The new 14,000-seat stadium would be located next to the district's other football stadium, Rhodes Stadium, and both could be used for large-scale events.
The stadium would cost an estimated $68 million, but the bond package would also include an agricultural complex as well as a science and technology center, bringing the total cost of the project to $99 million.
The big selling point is that officials say that tax rates for property owners should not go up.
"We're very fortunate in that the success of our school district brings in businesses that are looking for a good place for their employees to work. So as new businesses come in, that adds to the tax rolls," bond committee chairman Tommy Harrison said.
A bond committee recommending asking for an election. One argument, they say, is that seven high schools are currently sharing the stadium so scheduling gets tricky. Of course, football is very big and successful in the district.
If voters approve the bond, construction would begin in the spring and completed by the fall of 2015.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
katy, local, jessica willey
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 38 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes 8 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead 30 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system 2 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room 7 min ago
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook 11 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
34 min ago
- Learning doesn't stop at Houston Rodeo
49 min ago