Couple arrested in connection with crime spree in Greenspoint area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A teenaged male and a young woman are in custody, accused in a string of robberies in northeast Houston. Police say the pair would assault and rob people in the Greenspoint area.
An officer on patrol spotted the suspects' car on West Road Tuesday night. Neighbors in the area tell me if these are the crooks responsible for several of these robberies, they're glad to have them off the streets.
Police believe Christian Majano, 17, and Stephanie Danielle Lira, 23, could be responsible for at least half a dozen armed robberies in the Greenspoint area over the last two nights, sticking up their victims with a gun and in some cases, a baseball bat.
"They would drive up to the people walking on the street or in an apartment complex and rob them," said HPD Lt. Larry Crowson.
After several robbery calls Tuesday night, an officer on patrol spotted a Honda Accord, which matched the description of the car used in the robberies, and pulled the driver over. Inside the car, the officer found stolen cell phones, cash, and masks.
Alex Reyes, who lives a few houses down from where the suspects were arrested, thinks his father may recently have been victim to the same two crooks.
He said, "My father got mugged about three weeks ago, hit in the head with a baseball bat. So it could be the same people. Who knows."
Howard Williams says his nephew recognized the suspects, too, as the pair he believes stole toolboxes out of the bed of his work truck.
"He just came in there and said, 'That's the same one that robbed my truck,'" Williams said. </p<
"Good thing they were caught, all I can say," Reyes said. "Good thing they were caught, do some time."
Charges of aggravated robbery are pending against both suspects. Detectives will be trying to build a case that links them to the other robberies.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 6 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 23 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 16 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 18 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
16 min ago