Man, 80, shot during ambush in his own driveway on Houston's south side
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An elderly man is the victim of a violent robbery attempt in his own driveway, and now a neighborhood is on edge. The 80-year-old victim was shot during that robbery on South Acres on the city's south side.
The victim's wife, Mary Jones, says she's just glad that shooting wasn't worse. She's now urging all neighbors in this area to watch out for their surroundings.
"Scary," she said.
Still a little shaken up, Mary told us it was right outside her house in the 4100 block of South Acres where an unknown and armed robber shot her husband, Sherman Jones, around 10pm Monday.
"They shot him twice. But they didn't hit him but one time, and the bullet went through his leg," Mary said.
Jones told me her husband had just returned home from bowling. He parked his truck in the driveway and was heading to the passenger side when an unknown car pulled up behind him. Police say a man with a gun quickly walked up to Sherman, demanding his keys and wallet.
They say the 80-year-old grabbed the robber's arm. Mary said she heard two gunshots and knew her husband was in trouble.
"It was prayer that kept my husband and kept me, because when I walked back in, I heard the shot. That bullet, the stray bullet could have hit me," she said.
Police are now looking for leads on the gunman and getaway driver who sped from the scene in a small gray car, possibly a Honda. Mary says her husband is doing OK despite his injured leg.
Right now, she's urging the thieves to stop targeting innocent people.
"Stop! Think about what they are doing. They are taking people's life for no reason. And it's not necessary," she said.
Officers describe the suspect as a black male with a dark complexion and a goatee, about 25 to 30 years old, weighing around 165 pounds. At the time of the crime he was wearing all black -- a black hoodie, black jeans and a black baseball cap.
If you have any information, you're asked to call police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days