Lawsuit claims wrong pharmacy prescription led to six-year-old girl's overdose death
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family is demanding justice after they say a mistake at the pharmacy led to their daughter's death. Now the family of 6-year-old Jadalyn Williams is suing Cullen Care Pharmacy.
In the lawsuit filed Tuesday, the little girl's mother is asking for a million dollars in damages. She says pharmacists were way off when filling her daughter's morphine prescription.
It was something Simone Allen had done countless times before at the Cullen Care Pharmacy on Blythewood.
"I know them by first-name basis," Allen said.
She had been a loyal customer for 10 years, most recently using the pharmacy to fill morphine prescriptions for her six-year-old daughter, Jadalyn. Diagnosed with sickle cell anemia, the little girl had been taking the painkiller on and off since she was one.
In March of last year, her doctor prescribed a 15-milligram dose. But according to this lawsuit, the pharmacy filled the prescription at 10 times that amount.
"It's clear she was overdosed," Allen's attorney, Muhammad Aziz, said.
And six days later, Jadalyn was dead.
"They gave me the medicine to help her with her pain, and it ended up killing her," Allen said.
The Harris County coroner confirms Jadalyn died from an accidental morphine overdose. The pharmacy's lawyer declined to comment. Allen's attorneys say they've tried to settle with the pharmacy but one thing was lacking.
"I do want an apology. I lost my child," said Allen. "Why wouldn't you call me?"
Now this mother hopes a lawsuit will prevent pain for other parents.
"I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't want anyone to ever have to go through what I've been through," Allen said.
Late Tuesday, Michele Quattlebaum, a lawyer for Cullen Care Pharmacy, issued the following statement to Eyewitness News:
"It is my policy not to comment on pending litigation. All allegations will be investigated thoroughly.
"I appreciate the opportunity to give a statement and may be able to at a later date but must decline comment at this time."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston 31 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers