Lawsuit claims wrong pharmacy prescription led to six-year-old girl's overdose death
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family is demanding justice after they say a mistake at the pharmacy led to their daughter's death. Now the family of 6-year-old Jadalyn Williams is suing Cullen Care Pharmacy.
In the lawsuit filed Tuesday, the little girl's mother is asking for a million dollars in damages. She says pharmacists were way off when filling her daughter's morphine prescription.
It was something Simone Allen had done countless times before at the Cullen Care Pharmacy on Blythewood.
"I know them by first-name basis," Allen said.
She had been a loyal customer for 10 years, most recently using the pharmacy to fill morphine prescriptions for her six-year-old daughter, Jadalyn. Diagnosed with sickle cell anemia, the little girl had been taking the painkiller on and off since she was one.
In March of last year, her doctor prescribed a 15-milligram dose. But according to this lawsuit, the pharmacy filled the prescription at 10 times that amount.
"It's clear she was overdosed," Allen's attorney, Muhammad Aziz, said.
And six days later, Jadalyn was dead.
"They gave me the medicine to help her with her pain, and it ended up killing her," Allen said.
The Harris County coroner confirms Jadalyn died from an accidental morphine overdose. The pharmacy's lawyer declined to comment. Allen's attorneys say they've tried to settle with the pharmacy but one thing was lacking.
"I do want an apology. I lost my child," said Allen. "Why wouldn't you call me?"
Now this mother hopes a lawsuit will prevent pain for other parents.
"I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't want anyone to ever have to go through what I've been through," Allen said.
Late Tuesday, Michele Quattlebaum, a lawyer for Cullen Care Pharmacy, issued the following statement to Eyewitness News:
"It is my policy not to comment on pending litigation. All allegations will be investigated thoroughly.
"I appreciate the opportunity to give a statement and may be able to at a later date but must decline comment at this time."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Man shot in Bellaire-area parking lot 19 min ago
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush 16 min ago
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
32 min ago