Suspects in stolen car lead police on chase in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Suspected car burglars led police on a chase from north Houston all the way out to far northwest Houston overnight. Police have three suspects in custody and are still searching for one more.
It all started around 11:30pm. Police got a call about a suspicious person looking into cars in the 1100 block of Nashau.
When an officer arrived, someone flagged him down and pointed to a car with four people in it. The officer followed the vehicle and ran the plate, which listed the car came as stolen.
The officer tried to pull the driver over on 11th Street and Shepherd Drive, but after a block or two, the driver took off, leading the officer on about a 13-minute chase that took them back and forth across the North Loop at speeds up to 100 mph.
"Eventually, they went over some railroad tracks and blew out a tire," said Lt. Larry Crowson with the Houston Police Department. "They weren't able to continue at that point and they stopped the vehicle, abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot."
Three of the suspects were quickly taken into custody, but the driver managed to slip away.
Officers surrounded a home at 41st Street and Douglas after K-9 units track the suspect to the door. Authorities got a warrant to search the home, but couldn't find the suspect.
Police believe the suspects could be stealing cars for a living. They say there has been a rash of car break-ins and thefts in the Heights and all across Houston, with as many as 10 to 12 cars stolen per day in the Heights area alone.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight 38 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident 18 min ago
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians