Houston charter school under investigation for questionable spending
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- State investigators say a Houston charter school spent money on Broadway shows, cruises and other questionable items.
The Texas Education Agency investigated the Varnett School in 2011, but refused to release the results until now.
The investigation found school founder, Annette Cluff, employed several family members who also sat on the board, and she allegedly spent thousands of taxpayer dollars on Broadway shows, cruises and other travel.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 19 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital