Pasadena ISD student athlete killed in car wreck
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Students at a Pasadena high school are mourning the loss of one of their own just days before the start of a new school year. A popular student and athlete was killed in a late Wednesday night crash.
A vigil was held Thursday for Latrone Williams on the Rayburn High School football field. The turnout was immense, and the scene was emotional. Family members, friends and teammates gathered to remember the friend they called "Tron."
The district confirms that Williams died in a single-car accident. The boy would have been a senior and played both football and basketball at the school. But his family says he touched others well beyond Pasadena, Texas.
"I've seen people tweet and text him from all across the country. He's a great character, kid. Life struck him down too short," Williams' aunt Henrietta Delce said.
Pasadena police tell us there were two other 17-years-olds in the car with Williams. The driver may have been speeding and lost control, hit a curb and flipped. The driver was taken to a hospital. The other passenger is expected to be OK.
Football activities were canceled Thursday, and counselors will be on hand at Rayburn High School next week. When players take to the football field again, they say they'll be doing it in Williams' honor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
pasadena, local, ilona carson
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail