Pasadena ISD student athlete killed in car wreck
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Students at a Pasadena high school are mourning the loss of one of their own just days before the start of a new school year. A popular student and athlete was killed in a late Wednesday night crash.
A vigil was held Thursday for Latrone Williams on the Rayburn High School football field. The turnout was immense, and the scene was emotional. Family members, friends and teammates gathered to remember the friend they called "Tron."
The district confirms that Williams died in a single-car accident. The boy would have been a senior and played both football and basketball at the school. But his family says he touched others well beyond Pasadena, Texas.
"I've seen people tweet and text him from all across the country. He's a great character, kid. Life struck him down too short," Williams' aunt Henrietta Delce said.
Pasadena police tell us there were two other 17-years-olds in the car with Williams. The driver may have been speeding and lost control, hit a curb and flipped. The driver was taken to a hospital. The other passenger is expected to be OK.
Football activities were canceled Thursday, and counselors will be on hand at Rayburn High School next week. When players take to the football field again, they say they'll be doing it in Williams' honor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
pasadena, local, ilona carson
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born 9 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends!
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
31 min ago