Pasadena ISD student athlete killed in car wreck
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Students at a Pasadena high school are mourning the loss of one of their own just days before the start of a new school year. A popular student and athlete was killed in a late Wednesday night crash.
A vigil was held Thursday for Latrone Williams on the Rayburn High School football field. The turnout was immense, and the scene was emotional. Family members, friends and teammates gathered to remember the friend they called "Tron."
The district confirms that Williams died in a single-car accident. The boy would have been a senior and played both football and basketball at the school. But his family says he touched others well beyond Pasadena, Texas.
"I've seen people tweet and text him from all across the country. He's a great character, kid. Life struck him down too short," Williams' aunt Henrietta Delce said.
Pasadena police tell us there were two other 17-years-olds in the car with Williams. The driver may have been speeding and lost control, hit a curb and flipped. The driver was taken to a hospital. The other passenger is expected to be OK.
Football activities were canceled Thursday, and counselors will be on hand at Rayburn High School next week. When players take to the football field again, they say they'll be doing it in Williams' honor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
pasadena, local, ilona carson
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash 22 min ago
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 9 min ago
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou 13 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Students learn science through unique course 5 min ago
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Boy, 2, FaceTimes to help mom instead of 911
58 min ago