Suspect wounded in overnight officer-involved shooting in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An overnight robbery at a spa in west Houston ended in an officer-involved shooting. Police were on the scene when a handcuffed suspect pulled a gun from his pants.
The call came in around 11:30 last night of a robbery in progress. When officers arrived, they found the front door of the Mam Spa open, but an interior door locked.
One officer went around the back and a sergeant around front. A second sergeant arrived and could hear a woman crying inside the spa, which gave him reason to force the door.
Once inside, police say, the officers saw the suspect walking with his hands up. They handcuffed him without a problem, but then the suspect told them he had an accomplice still inside.
One sergeant went to look for that person while the other watched the handcuffed suspect.
"The seated suspect stood up, produced a pistol from somewhere and using the small of his back, turned and fired at Sgt. Foltz, missing him," said Kese Smith with the Houston Police Department.
Police say the sergeant, who already had his weapon drawn, returned fire, but the suspect ran out of the building. Outside, the third officer, who heard the shots, also fired at the suspect, who kept on running.
Officers found him still handcuffed about a block away.
The suspect did suffer at least one gunshot wound. He was taken to a nearby hospital. None of the officers involved were injured. The woman inside the business wasn't hurt either.
The shooting will be investigated by the police department and the district attorney's office.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Severe weather possible this morning 3 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses