Church caretaker, 66, fights back against thieves who targeted landscaper in Conroe
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A 66-year-old church caretaker came to the aid of a landscaper who was scuffling with a man who was trying to steal his leaf blower.
Conroe police say on Friday afternoon a landscaper was blowing leaves at the Ark Family Church in Conroe when he was approached by two men in car.
Police say one of the men grabbed his blower and tried to run off with it. The landscaper fought back and Tommy Gonzales, who lives on the church property, saw what was happening and came to his aid.
The suspect pulled a knife on Gonzalez and cut his him arm before running off into the woods. The other suspect took off in a maroon Buick.
Conroe police and Montgomery County Constables from Precinct 2 responded to the church and called for a sheriff's K-9 unit, who arrested the suspect after a 20 minute search.
Gonzalez's injury to his arm was minor. The suspect was taken to the hospital because of heat exposure.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW 1 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 17 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'