Shooting sends car plowing into apartment building in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A shooting in north Houston Friday sent the driver of a car careening into an apartment building. And now he and a child are in the hospital.
The crash happened in the 16000 block of Cotillion Drive. Neighbors stood for hours looking at the Lexus sedan after it smashed into the first-floor apartment. The driver, a 32-year-old construction worker who lives at the complex, was shot at least three times and lost control of his car.
"He was just saying he got shot," said neighbor Charlie Trejo. "He was asking for help."
Trejo is one of several good Samaritans who ran to his aid and pulled him out.
"We helped the guy get out of his car. He was shot in the chest. He was shot in the head, too," said Trejo.
Police say a child who was inside the apartment sustained a minor injury, but the other two occupants were unharmed.
Investigators say this crash was the result of a gunfight that started inside the complex.
"The altercation led to gunfire," said Sgt. R. Musick with the Houston Police Department. "The vehicles chased each other out of the complex and the vehicle behind us went into the building."
The driver's mother-in-law doesn't said she doesn't know why someone would want to shoot him. She also says he has two children.
"I don't know. He's just a quiet person," she said. "I don't think he has any problems or anything."
The victim is listed in critical condition. Houston police don't have a good description of the two suspects. They believe one of them was driving a dark-colored SUV. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, katie mccall
- Kubiak era ends in Houston 20 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- Photos: Share Your Holidays Food Drive
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- 'Cannibal sandwiches' sicken Wisconsin residents
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter