Violent night across Harris County with 4 murders, 2 alleged attempted murders in as many hours
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a violent night in the Houston area with six attempted murders across the city and Harris County in the span of about six hours late Friday and early Saturday. The incidents leave some residents wondering if violent crime is getting out of control near their homes.
The bloody night began at a birthday party in the 4700 block of Mohave Circle near Omaha in Baytown. Detectives with the Harris County Sheriff's Office say an argument in the home's back yard ended in gunfire. A 20-year-old man was shot in the head.
The victim was rushed by helicopter to a nearby trauma center, but the suspect got away and remains at large.
"I've lived out here 13 years, and this is the first time that we've ever had an instance like that happen," neighbor Jerry Kincel said. "We've had a few break-ins and a few vehicles stolen over the years, but nothing this serious."
Around the same time in northwest Houston, a man stumbled back to his house on Wickerbay Street after someone slashed him across the throat. He was taken by Life Flight to the Texas Medical Center.
"It's unnerving. I mean it happened right in front of our window," Neighbor Kelly Clemens said.
Then, near the intersection of Carradine and Brookfield Drive, a man was found shot to death in the street. A man, who asked us not to show his face, says he was at work when his supervisor called him in to tell him his brother was dead.
Add to that three other violent crimes: In the 1000 block of Villa de Matel, a man was found dead near a school; in the 6400 block of Frosty Brook, a man was shot to death after leaving an after-hours club; and in an apartment complex in the 6400 block of Skyline Drive, 32-year-old Maynor Humberto Ramos-Augustin was found stabbed to death on his balcony.
"It just feels like things are getting worse," Clemens said.
All in all, there were four murders and two people were fighting for their lives Saturday night after alleged attempted murders. So far, there have been no arrests in any of these crimes.
Investigators with both the police and sheriff's departments are asking anyone with information about any of these crimes to call them. You can also call Crime Stoppers to make an anonymous tip at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Know the guy in this surveillance video? 35 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 33 min ago
- IAH passengers struggle to reach destinations 29 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad