Deadline extended for Rye Powerball winner to claim prize
RYE -- The deadline has been extended for a lucky Powerball winner in Westchester County to claim his or her $1 million prize.
The winning ticket was sold on August 25 of last year at the Playland Market in Rye.
Winners usually have a year to claim the prize.
However, the New York Lottery extended the deadline for one week in case the person mailed in the winning ticket. As long as the ticket is postmarked by Aug. 25, it's valid.
The winning numbers are 1-6-7-20-49 with Powerball 23. The deli put a sign in its window with the lucky numbers, hoping to find the customer who bought the ticket last year.
If someone were to submit the winning ticket in person on Monday, lottery officials would consider honoring it because the deadline fell on Sunday.
A winner may also present their ticket at New York's seven lottery customer service centers.
If no one claims the prize, the money will be returned to the lottery pool.
The highest unclaimed jackpot in New York Lottery history - $68 million - came with a ticket sold in Brooklyn in 2002.
In the past four months, winners statewide have failed to claim nearly $28 million in drawing-game prizes before they expired. And last year, there were more than $65 million in expired winnings.
On $1 million in winnings, the take-home pay is about $600,000 after federal taxes.
Multi-State Lottery Association: http://www.powerball.com
lottery, powerball, local news
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Rice defeats Marshall in C-USA championship 45 min ago
- 4.5 magnitude earthquake rattles central Oklahoma 48 min ago
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice stalls sections of I-35 in North Texas
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow
- Cold, damp weather to continue
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats