Speed limits in school zones will be back in effect across Houston area today
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It is back-to-school for hundreds of thousands of students today in HISD and other districts. So drivers, all those school zone signs you ignored during the summer months will be flashing today, and the Houston Police Department wants to make sure you slow down and take other precautions this school year.
That means drivers need to slow down in school zones, be aware of posted speed limits and make sure they're not on cell phones while driving through school zones.
In addition, Houston police are reminding motorists to be extra careful around school buses. It is against the law to pass school buses with flashing lights. Violating that law could cost you more than $200 in fines.
Officers are also urging parents to talk to their students about staying safe while walking to school and boarding or riding the school bus
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, samica knight
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- Video: Vatican city prepares for canonization
- Video: Hero helps Skeeters open the season
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Family's pet donkey shot 18 times, killed 55 min ago
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller
- Convict who escaped TX prison returns from Mexico
- Child dies in rollover wreck along Gulf Freeway
- Car becomes lodged under box truck in SW Houston wreck
- Court filing: Tugboat in ship channel spill was speeding
- More space, shops coming to The Galleria