Speed limits in school zones will be back in effect across Houston area today
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It is back-to-school for hundreds of thousands of students today in HISD and other districts. So drivers, all those school zone signs you ignored during the summer months will be flashing today, and the Houston Police Department wants to make sure you slow down and take other precautions this school year.
That means drivers need to slow down in school zones, be aware of posted speed limits and make sure they're not on cell phones while driving through school zones.
In addition, Houston police are reminding motorists to be extra careful around school buses. It is against the law to pass school buses with flashing lights. Violating that law could cost you more than $200 in fines.
Officers are also urging parents to talk to their students about staying safe while walking to school and boarding or riding the school bus
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, samica knight
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident