Armored truck guard shoots alleged armed robber in Clear Lake
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Monday evening turned scary for shoppers in Clear Lake as a security guard fired shots at a man who allegedly tried to rob an armored truck in a busy parking lot.
It happened around 5:15pm in the 500 block of El Dorado Boulevard at Highway 3. The shopping center is a popular crossroads for shopping and running errands, but it was surrounded by crime scene tape Monday night.
According to investigators, an armored truck driver and guard were making a routine cash pickup when employees at several nearby restaurants became eyewitnesses to the crime.
"We were pretty shocked," witness Maria Vargas said. "Everything happened so quickly."
Officers said a man pointed a pistol at the armored truck employees. As the suspect ran away with a bag of cash, the truck security officer fired two shots at him. One hit the suspect as he was getting into a vehicle, police said.
"He got him in the leg. And he dropped the bag and got in, then sped off," Vargas said.
"Just doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do," shopper Lynda Williams said. "They really have their stuff together, so I think this pretty much proves not a good thing to try and attempt."
Authorities recovered the stolen money and processed the crime scene as the shopping went on.
"Fortunately, nobody got hurt and the armored people are well trained, and they do their job right," shopper Arnold Williams said.
Within a couple of hours, a wounded man showed up at LBJ Hospital and fit the suspect description.
"I guess they need to get a job or something, because this ain't working out," Arnold Williams said.
This is the sixth armored car robbery or attempted robbery in the Houston area we've reported on since 2012. The most recent was in June, when two armed robbers exchanged gunfire with the guards on an armored vehicle. That hold up was unsuccessful and the gunmen ran away.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
clear lake, local, christine dobbyn
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale