Police: Baytown teenager shoots two intruders, killing 1
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- An attempted home invasion in Baytown ended with an 18-year-old killing one of the two suspects. Neighbors say this particular home had been targeted before.
The quiet Baytown neighborhood was woken up Wednesday morning by the sound of gunshots coming from one house.
"They probably were thinking they were coming into an empty house, which they weren't. The grandson was there," said neighbor Barbara Carr.
An 18-year-old man confronted two suspected burglars in his grandmother's home with a shotgun. One of them, Charles Allen Dixon, 40, died at the hospital of his wounds. The second suspect, Michael McDaniel, 26, is in critical condition.
Baytown Police Detective Edgar Elizondo said, "Situations like this, we're going to see this more often because now more Texans arm themselves and we have the right to protect our property."
Police say McDaniel fled the house and called a woman, who along with Dixon's wife, took McDaniel to the hospital in a green GMC pickup truck. Both women are being questioned by police.
McDaniel was convicted of theft just two weeks ago, and has convictions for not having his driver's license and drugs in the past. Dixon had convictions for disorderly conduct, DWI, burglary and trespass.
Neighbors say teen's grandmother is in a nursing home and this was the second time the home was burglarized in a month.
"That's why the grandson was there, I guess, trying to protect what his grandmother had left," Carr said.
Earlier in the morning, before the shooting, another burglary was reported in Baytown and witnesses describe seeing a green GMC pickup. Police are investigating to see if the two incidents could be connected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
baytown, local, adela uchida
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling 27 min ago
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston 56 min ago
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health 24 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded