Police: Baytown teenager shoots two intruders, killing 1
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- An attempted home invasion in Baytown ended with an 18-year-old killing one of the two suspects. Neighbors say this particular home had been targeted before.
The quiet Baytown neighborhood was woken up Wednesday morning by the sound of gunshots coming from one house.
"They probably were thinking they were coming into an empty house, which they weren't. The grandson was there," said neighbor Barbara Carr.
An 18-year-old man confronted two suspected burglars in his grandmother's home with a shotgun. One of them, Charles Allen Dixon, 40, died at the hospital of his wounds. The second suspect, Michael McDaniel, 26, is in critical condition.
Baytown Police Detective Edgar Elizondo said, "Situations like this, we're going to see this more often because now more Texans arm themselves and we have the right to protect our property."
Police say McDaniel fled the house and called a woman, who along with Dixon's wife, took McDaniel to the hospital in a green GMC pickup truck. Both women are being questioned by police.
McDaniel was convicted of theft just two weeks ago, and has convictions for not having his driver's license and drugs in the past. Dixon had convictions for disorderly conduct, DWI, burglary and trespass.
Neighbors say teen's grandmother is in a nursing home and this was the second time the home was burglarized in a month.
"That's why the grandson was there, I guess, trying to protect what his grandmother had left," Carr said.
Earlier in the morning, before the shooting, another burglary was reported in Baytown and witnesses describe seeing a green GMC pickup. Police are investigating to see if the two incidents could be connected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
baytown, local, adela uchida
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 32 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza'
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Restaurant robbery attempt foiled by quick-thinking worker 52 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations