Police: Robbery victims forced into trunks of cars in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are searching for the robbery suspect who got away after a violent attack in west Houston overnight. The victims were stuffed into the trunk of a car.
We tried to speak with one of the victims who lives at the Tuscany apartments, but she was too shaken up to open her door after a terrifying night, and with one of the robbery suspects still unaccounted for.
A man and two women were coming home, getting out of their car at the Tuscany apartments on Bering Drive around midnight, according to police, when they were confronted by two men, at least one of whom was pointing a gun.
"Two black male suspects wearing masks approached them, robbed them of their phones, wallets, purses," said Officer Russell Gray with the HPD Robbery Division.
In the process, police say one of the suspects pistol whipped the man, then, ordered all three of them into the trunk of their car. Right around that time, another woman pulled up in a silver Toyota.
Officer Gray said, "One of the suspects approached her, also robbed her and then put her in the trunk of the vehicle."
Investigators say the suspects were about to leave in that car, with the woman still locked in the trunk, but just then officers pulled up, and the suspects ran off in opposite directions. One man got away.
"The other suspect entered a vehicle and led the officers on a brief chase where he was captured," Officer Gray said.
"We have a lot of children on this block. We have a school at the end of the block," said neighbor Denise O'Connell. "I think everybody should be concerned."
O'Connell lives in an apartment building across the street.
She said, "We've had a lot of break-ins and a lot of car thieves."
The violent attack has her worried, but she says these days, crime is just about everywhere.
"I think it's a fact of life," she said. "We live in Houston. Let's buck up and get them."
Police have identified the man arrested Thursday morning as Trayvon Baul, 22. He's been convicted in the past of robbery and family violence. Now he's facing new charges of robbery and kidnapping.
Police are also looking into whether Baul and the other suspect might be connected to other violent armed robberies in the area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged 48 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 41 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah