Baby forgotten in hot car found dead in League City
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A devastating loss for a League City family -- their infant daughter died after her father forgot her in the car.
Toys are parked outside the daycare where six-month-old Lillian Isabel Guerra stayed during the day. Pastor Tammy Sharp oversees the church and the daycare.
"A day at a time," she said. "The teachers have done a great job of caring for the children despite the fact that their hearts are broken. It's been a real tough day."
League City police say they were called to Christus Victor Lutheran Church Wednesday afternoon after the baby's father realized he'd forgotten to drop her off at the daycare and left her in his personal car for hours while he was at work in his work vehicle. EMS workers were called to the day care and confirmed the child was dead at the scene.
"When our routines change, we forget things," said Pastor Sharp.
Police say the father dropped his older children off at school that morning, and meant to take the infant to day care but apparently forgot and went to work, leaving the child in the vehicle.
League City Police Officer Reagan Pena said, "What the League City Police Department asks people to do as a reminder is to possibly leave something else of value in the back of the vehicle like a purse, laptop or cell phone. Something you would potentially always take with you."
The family is well known at the church, as two older siblings used to attend the daycare, and staff members say they are in contact with a very devastated father.
"Remind them that they are not alone and continue to support them," Pastor Sharp said.
At this time no charges have been filed, and police continue to investigate.
Police warn parents to be cautious, especially during summer months. They say we can reduce the number of heat-related injuries and deaths by remembering to ACT:
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
league city, local, christine dobbyn
- Home invasion suspects threaten to take baby 35 min ago
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch 4 min ago
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on cheek 27 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Cleveland ISD: Teen resisting officer hit with Taser 4 min ago
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
21 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos