Fight over basketball game ends in fatal shooting in northwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A fight over a basketball game is blamed for a deadly shooting in northwest Houston last night.
The shooting happened at about 8:30pm in the 3300 block of Airline Drive. Two groups of men were playing basketball at Independence Heights Park. After the game, the losers followed the winners for a few blocks and a fight started.
Police say during the fight, someone pulled a gun and started shooting. One man was hit. He was taken to the hospital where he later died.
Witnesses haven't been able to lead police to the shooter.
"They say that they recognize him but don't know his name or where he lives. They have seen him at the park before," said Sgt. T. Richardson with the Houston Police Department.
Police are not sure if the shooter was actually playing basketball.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly 35 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- College students paid to take a year off?
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake 1 min ago
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage 5 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Dannon to reduce sugar in yogurt for kids 56 min ago
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death