Fight over basketball game ends in fatal shooting in northwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A fight over a basketball game is blamed for a deadly shooting in northwest Houston last night.
The shooting happened at about 8:30pm in the 3300 block of Airline Drive. Two groups of men were playing basketball at Independence Heights Park. After the game, the losers followed the winners for a few blocks and a fight started.
Police say during the fight, someone pulled a gun and started shooting. One man was hit. He was taken to the hospital where he later died.
Witnesses haven't been able to lead police to the shooter.
"They say that they recognize him but don't know his name or where he lives. They have seen him at the park before," said Sgt. T. Richardson with the Houston Police Department.
Police are not sure if the shooter was actually playing basketball.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle