Two arrested after SWAT standoff at NE Houston business
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two men have been taken into custody after a morning-long police standoff at a convenience store and a neighboring cell phone store in northeast Houston.
A panic alarm came in at just after 9am at the 7500 block of North Wayside at Ley Road. A witness told a co-worker that he saw two men in a gray pickup pulling masks over their heads in the parking lot outside the business. He went inside the restaurant and told employees there to lock the doors.
Police officers are blocking off North Wayside and surrounding the business with guns drawn. SWAT officers have been called to the scene, and have entered an adjoining chicken restaurant.
One man came out of the cell phone store with his hands on his head and was taken into custody without incident shortly after the standoff began.
Witness Jerry Ross said, "He looked between 35 and 38 years old, short, medium build. They had him handcuffed, but he came out with no problem, no fighting, nothing like that."
Authorities believed there may be one more suspect inside, but they didn't seen any sign of that person for hours. Then, at around 12:30pm, the second suspect was discovered on the roof of the building. It's believed he had been hiding in the duct work. A ladder truck was brought in to bring the man down, but he initially refused to come off the roof, and had to be lowered to the ground in a gurney.
Officers earlier had escorted restaurant employees to safety.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida 53 min ago
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...