Chase suspect dead after exchanging gunfire with HPD officers near downtown
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston police officer shot and killed a man near downtown Houston overnight. HPD says the officer killed the man after a short chase that ended in a shootout.
It happened near downtown on Allen Parkway near Standford.
The chase started around 12:30am in southeast Houston. Officers say during the chase, the suspect shot at them from inside his moving vehicle.
The officers managed to dodge all the bullets, but then the suspect stopped the car, got out and ran away. The suspect was still desperate to escape and continued to fire at officers, which is when an officer shot and killed the suspect.
None of the officers were hurt.
All eastbound lanes of Allen Parkway were shut down for hours due to the investigation. The accident was cleared after 8am.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 10 min ago
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop 8 min ago
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven 6 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 20 min ago
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight