Armored truck driver shot during robbery outside Walgreens in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Surprised shoppers were treated to a dramatic scene on the north side -- a gun and a bag full of money left on the ground after an attempted robbery of an armored truck. It was a shootout between the driver of that armored car and two robbers.
What began as a typical Friday morning at a north side Walgreens on Eastex Freeway at Little York quickly turned violent, as robbers and an armored truck courier exchanged gunfire just few feet away from unsuspecting shoppers.
Monica, an eyewitness, said, "I just closed my door and I heard the shots, so I dropped down, and I peeked down and I saw the guy. He was like right there, and I saw like the back of his legs inside his car and he took off driving."
investigators say two men tried to rob the courier. He was apparently grazed by gunfire. He also fired back, but his bullet hit a parked car. The robbers fled, the money was untouched, and within seconds, it was over, leaving witnesses shocked.
"It's crazy," said shopper Connie Jones. "It's like somebody had to be watching the truck to know like, this man couldn't make a drop with his money."
investigators would not comment on camera. They did tell us the courier will be OK. They are looking for two suspects who got away in a white sedan, described by witnesses as an older Lexus-style car.
"It's pretty crazy, pretty crazy, people don't want to work for their money, to just do this kind of stuff," said eyewitness Jesus Martinez. "That's sad."
No description of the two suspects is available.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, miya shay
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror 54 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 46 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi 30 min ago
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages 20 min ago
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Boy accused of setting mall fire, two others
- SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
- Steelers' coach slapped with six-figure fine 25 min ago