Resident killed, firefighter injured in Montgomery County house fire near Lake Conroe
MONTGOMERY, TX (KTRK) -- A Montgomery County resident died and a firefighter was injured Sunday in an early morning blaze near Lake Conroe.
It happened around 4am on Lakeway Drive in the Big Oaks subdivision.
Firefighters from stations in Montgomery and North Montgomery County responded and found the home heavily engulfed in flames.
They immediately attacked the blaze and got it under control, but then they made a startling discovery. According to the Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office, crews searched the burned home and found a body.
The body is believed to be that of the home's resident, who family members identify as Estanislao " Sam" Torres, a long time resident and small business owner. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
An initial investigation revealed that the fire started on the home's porch and spread quickly. Officials do not believe the home had working smoke detectors.
One firefighter was transported to Conroe Regional Medical Center, suffering from heat exhaustion and related medical problems. His condition was not released.
Arson investigators are looking into the cause of the blaze.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 1 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 2 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 24 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 18 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her