Resident killed, firefighter injured in Montgomery County house fire near Lake Conroe
MONTGOMERY, TX (KTRK) -- A Montgomery County resident died and a firefighter was injured Sunday in an early morning blaze near Lake Conroe.
It happened around 4am on Lakeway Drive in the Big Oaks subdivision.
Firefighters from stations in Montgomery and North Montgomery County responded and found the home heavily engulfed in flames.
They immediately attacked the blaze and got it under control, but then they made a startling discovery. According to the Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office, crews searched the burned home and found a body.
The body is believed to be that of the home's resident, who family members identify as Estanislao " Sam" Torres, a long time resident and small business owner. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
An initial investigation revealed that the fire started on the home's porch and spread quickly. Officials do not believe the home had working smoke detectors.
One firefighter was transported to Conroe Regional Medical Center, suffering from heat exhaustion and related medical problems. His condition was not released.
Arson investigators are looking into the cause of the blaze.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 41 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- ABC13 broacasting Texans vs. Jags game Thursday night
- Man finds his brother murdered in home 49 min ago
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect 36 min ago
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle 50 min ago
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations 44 min ago
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Search for Missouri fugitive moves to Houston
- Nude pics on Instagram lead to sex assault suspects
- Houston Restaurant Violation Report as of...
43 min ago