Police dog 'Rex' helps sniff out 560 pounds of pot after pair can't get stories straight
ROSENBERG, TX (KTRK) -- Rex the K9 cop is being credited with assisting his human partner in making a drug bust involving more than 500 pounds of pot.
At about 8pm Sunday, a Rosenberg police officer stopped a driver in a pickup towing a boat, on a reported traffic violation in the 2500 block of Avenue H. Investigator Anthony Schnacky says the driver and passenger told very inconsistent stories of where they coming from and where they were going.
The officer deployed his K9 partner Rex, who conducted a sniff of the vehicle and alerted on a boat being towed. The boat was subsequently searched and multiple hidden compartments were located.
Police say the compartments contained a total of 155 individually wrapped bundles of suspected marijuana, with a total weight of approximately 562 pounds. Rosenberg police estimate the street value at approximately $170,000.
The driver and passenger are identified as Clint Schweining and Martin Wilson. They were both arrested for the first degree felony offense of possession of marijuana in a drug free zone, because they were within 1,000 feet of Fort Bend Alternative School, located at 3403 Avenue F.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash 7 min ago
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 10 min ago
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou 6 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Students learn science through unique course 19 min ago
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Boy, 2, FaceTimes to help mom instead of 911
43 min ago