County worker accused of paying for cruise with gift cards meant for teens
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There are troubling accusations against a former county worker who's now accused of stealing from an agency that provides assistance to children and the elderly.
It's not just the theft accusations that are troubling about this case. It's how she allegedly spent the money that would have gone to youth.
Until April 2011, Keshia Solomon worked as a technician in Harris County Child Protective Services. She processed purchase orders, but CPS says she was doing something else.
"She was using the purchase order to purchase gift cards for her own personal use," alleged CPS spokesperson Gwen Carter.
The Harris County District Attorney's Office says Solomon allegedly bought at least $1,500 worth of gift cards between 2007 and 2011. Sources in the DA's office say she used the cards for personal expenses, and went on a cruise, even posting cruise pictures on her Facebook account. CPS says that was money intended for teens aging out of the CPS system.
"For special events, graduation events, for events such as helping them when they are about to enter into the world so the funds are incredibly important," Carter explained.
We went to Solomon's Fort Bend County home but nobody answered the door. She was fired in April 2011, soon after allegations surfaced. CPS says conducting a full internal audit and building a case in the DA's office took time, and that's why Solomon was just charged a week ago
Carter said, "This is no way reflective of all of the employees who dedicate their lives and careers to helping children and families, so it saddens all of us."
Solomon is out on bond. She is scheduled to appear in court later this week.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, miya shay
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 55 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 51 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days