Restaurateur accused of attempted sexual assault
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston restaurateur facing a very serious charge.
You may know Zackery Ray Alolabi as Papa Zack, Zack Ray or just the owner of Houston's Napoli restaurants. Well, now he's known to police as an accused sexual predator.
"He's definitely a big personality. But he's not a rapist," his attorney, Steve Shellist, said.
Alolabi, owner of six Napoli Italian restaurants throughout Houston, is now accused of attempted sexual assault. According to court records, he held a former employee down, ripped her clothes and exposed himself all in an effort to sexually assault her.
"I think there's a lot more to the story than what the police know," Shellist said.
Shellist says the victim and Alolabi had spent an afternoon drinking at a strip club before ending up at Alolabi's mother's house in southwest Houston, where the alleged attack happened. Court records say unbeknownst to him, the victim was still on the phone with her ex-husband during the incident. That ex-husband later told police later he heard her say, "Stop."
"I'm telling you this is a setup on the part of this girl to go after him, to smudge his reputation and take his money," Shellist said.
Shellist believes the criminal allegation is a prelude to a civil case against his client for money. The investigator did note the victim to be credible and reliable.
Alolabi will soon be seeing more of a courtroom than a kitchen.
The investigator also noted bruising and the victim's damaged clothing in his affidavit, as well as another employee who said Alolabi had done the same thing to her.
He is due in court on Monday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 28 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom 55 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter'
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects