Good Samaritans try to rescue crash victim on FM 1960, woman dies at the scene
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Good Samaritans tried to help a woman who became trapped in her car after a crash in north Harris County early Sunday morning, but it was too late. Now, Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies want to know whether alcohol played a role in the collision.
According to investigators, Renee Melton was driving a Nissan Maxima westbound in the 200 block of West FM 1960 near the North Freeway when she drifted toward the outside curb. Officials said she struck the curb and lost control, continuing across all westbound lanes, going over a raised center curb and into oncoming traffic.
Two men were eastbound in a Chevrolet Impala. Deputies said the driver couldn't stop or avoid Melton's car, so the two vehicles collided.
Adrian Thomas witnessed the accident on his way home. It was so bad, he said he felt compelled to stop.
"I rushed up to the lady. There was already three guys there and we tried to help her out," Thomas said. "I felt for a pulse; no pulse. Felt to see if she was breathing; no breathing."
Thomas and the two other men tried to cut Melton out of her seatbelt, but it was too difficult. She died there.
"I was on top of the car," Thomas said. "There's two guys at the bottom and I looked down at them and said, 'Do you feel anything?' And they said, 'She's gone already.'"
Authorities confirmed that Melton died at the scene. The driver and one passenger in the other vehicle were injured and taken to the hospital. There is no word on their conditions, but they were stable at last check.
"My heart sunk," said Tammy Davis, who works nearby.
Davis said the scene was chaotic. Melton's family members told us the mother of two teenagers was returning to her house after a night of watching the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Canelo Alvarez boxing match at an unknown location. She was less than a mile from home.
"It's breathtaking when something like that happens right here," Davis said. "I can't even imagine. I really do feel sorry for their family."
The crash remains under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash 29 min ago
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 52 min ago
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape 45 min ago
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing 32 min ago
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
28 min ago