Man in wheelchair killed by hit-and-run driver in north Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Investigators are searching for a hit-and-run driver who killed a man in a wheelchair this morning in north Harris County.
It happened around 3:20am on Aldine Mail Route near Airline.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, a witness saw a red extended-cab Ford pickup truck strike the victim in the southbound lanes of Airline.
The driver then reportedly made a U-turn and fled north.
Deputies said the victim was an older Latino man who was in the inside southbound lane in his wheelchair when he was fatally struck. He died at the scene.
"He was in the lane of traffic," HCSO Dep. Paul Begley said. "Unknown if he was trying to cross, or just in the lane."
Investigators collected vehicle parts from the scene of the crash to possibly help them locate the suspect vehicle.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates. Reporter Sonia Azad is at the scene and will have live reports from the scene 8-10am.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 1 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 4 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 15 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette' 17 min ago
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 59 min ago
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 18 min ago
- Travis Herzog's Tuesday weather forecast
9 min ago
- Information on price tags decoded
33 min ago